Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sometimes you need to take your own advice!!!

I firmly believe that when someone NEEDS something...they will go to extreme lengths to get it!!

Example...Crackheads...

they will steal, kill, or well...they will go to great lengths...

So you don't want to be compared to a crackhead...

ok...well how about a server

Sometimes these words are synonymous!!

Depending on the day & amount of caffeine involved!!

So as a manager we are often asked in VERY nice/rude/funny/lame/corny/demanding ways to reserve a table during busy times.

It makes it easy on the managers...bc the answer is NO!!!

We do this because the other guests that will have to wait will get mad or offended.

But what if someone offered you $500.

Well...let's just say that I would have the table set with CANDLES and personalized name plates if it were me...

F those other guests!!!

Loc got a phone call that requested a table for 11...RIGHT AFTER THE TECH GAME!!!!

Here are some logistics that context has not provided:

1. THIS IS AGGIELAND!!!!
2. TECH fans are RUDE AS HELL!!!
3. TECH fans feel entitled...
4. Our restaurant is directly across from the school & a hotspot after games.
5. TECH is a Texas team = lots of their fans travel here
6. There is liable to be a riot if I seat 11 guests wearing RED & BLACK

soooooooooooo

with that being said...I would have had personalized name plates on that table had I been offered $500 to hold it.

The other managers gawked over the table when they called again asking to have it held...and then declined, but offered to call them ahead.

SUCKERS

When the table showed up they asked for a manager immediately and informed him that they were ready to be helped out of their car.

That is the geriatric grandpa that would be paying the bill........

Thumper was the one who got the table.

When they sat down they informed her that they would be leaving her a $100 if she did a good job.

She then turned to me and promised that I would be taken care of if the food went out PERFECT!!

DONE & DONE

This could go one of three ways...

They could leave her the $100 they promised, they could find a reason she didn't deserve it, or they could have just been BSing...and left her a little chunk change.

Either way, this is what we signed up for.

So Thumper is humping along and strolls past QA only to notice her order didn't make it to the computer screen...HOW IS IT THAT THIS TABLE IS THE ONE THAT THE COMPUTER JACKS UP ON?!?!??

She starts reciting the things that she needs and I pick up on the OUT FIRST items...

You see, as a manager we were trained to slow down a guest's internal clock by putting something in front of them. This way they have something to munch on or even look at...so they feel like they are being served promptly.

Salads delivered!!!

This table was...ummm...well...lets just say they treated this casual dining experience as if it were a 5 star restaurant.

Food went out to the table...PREFECT I MIGHT ADD...and they were happy!!!

As promised, they left Thumper the $100 tip!!!

She came back to the kitchen with food that the guest INSISTED she box for them.

She was hesitant...

but not in an, "I don't want to do it sort of way..."

but in an, "I am tired of being RUN by you and your 5 star requests sort of way"

So I gave her some insight...

YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE DOUBLE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING TO MAKE!!!

YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IN ONE HOUR WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS WORKING ALL NIGHT FOR!!!

You may be frustrated now, but at the end of the night when you are counting your money...think of this moment and smile...

Then carry your ass back out there with the food boxed up...and ask him if he wants a foot massage too...(not the later, but you get it)

BE THANKFUL!!!


I guess that the boxing of food is on Thumper's list of things that she just didn't want to do...good thing she had me here to pep talk her!!!

All this to say...I get up at 5:30a.m. to go to the Middle School I work at...sometimes I work until 9 or 10 to turn around and do it again...

I had to take my own advice this weekend...the same advice that I gave Thumper...

BE THANKFUL!!!

I made more money in the 4 days that I worked this week at the restaurant than I made in TWO WEEKS at the school.

In the moment I don't want to do it...I sometimes have just had enough...

But at the end of the day...when I am counting my money...it is worth it!!!

I AM THANKFUL!!!

1 comment:

Roy said...

Wow.. She really acted l like that even though she was getting a $100 Tip? /slap on the back of the head. But I totally agree :)