Friday, August 15, 2008

Deaf, Drunk, & Confused

This is a throwback...

I am a linguist of sorts...I am sort of trilingual...well sort of...

I can speak Spanish & English fluently & enough sign language to get my point across...so I get volunteered for all sorts of encounters!!!

I walked by the bar top to see three Hispanic guys carrying on a conversation...and one of them seemed to be the one that caught the short end of all the jokes...you know...the one that always gets picked on in a trio.

He happened to not have any teeth and speak sign language. But the smiles and laughs told me that they were enjoying their beers and getting along just fine.

I wanted to be a part of those laughs...I LOVE to laugh...so I joined in the conversation from behind the bar.

My perception of the conversation wasn't accurate at all. The two Spanish speaking gentlemen were together and they were trying to communicate with the Spanish speaking DEAF gentleman. Unsuccessfully so...

The deaf guy seemed to also be DRUNK...and unable to find his hotel. He hitchhiked from somewhere and got dropped off at our establishment. He was sort of out of it.

The guys were not doing well with figuring out where he needed to go...I listened in the cut and then tried a bit of ASL (American Sign Language)...but the guy didn't have any formal knowledge of sign language...he did not look very educated...

So I tried simple spelling...and what do you know the guy didn't understand English...so I sign spelled in Spanish and Vwallla...he got it...EXCEPT his attention span was short...and in the middle of a word he would give me a "Bababababa"...if you have ever heard a deaf person make a sound...it sounds nasally bc they do not know how they sound...add some drunk to it and that is what you get

So I tried writing down questions...he didn't know where he needed to go. The other two guys were fanning their arms to me and giving me the Wayne's World..."We're not worthy" they were amazed at my trilingualness...hahahaha

I think that he has relyed on everyone's inability to communicate with him...but he was unaware of who he was dealing with...

he said he didn't have money for anything...his beer or a hotel...so the nice guys offered to pay for his first beer...so nice of them...when he knew that his beer was covered he ordered another...I heard the two guys gasp at his gaw...so I declined him another beer...

he got mad...and I explained that if he could not pay for his first beer I was not serving him another...so then he pulled out his bank roll...and he had a bunch of cash...so I gave him his ticket for the first beer and let him pay for it...

I was not going to let him take advantage of these guys niceness...CONFUSED...so I shared with him a universal sign...it transcends across every language...it is the shoo...if you are bothering my guests, begging from them, drunk, and not purchasing anything from us...get out of here...

this poor guy was deaf, drunk, & confused

No comments: